Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Location Based Services : My Tryst with FourSquare

I must have checked in every single day at the Starbucks in Hackensack, just to get the feeling of being the Mayor of a rather popular coffee place, ah well, also for the free coffee they have for His Highness THE MAYOR.

To rewind it a little, Location based services is not nothing that just started out of nowhere, Like any other popular "Network" on the internet, this one too is based on general things we do in life; err Facebook = Remember those building meeting ? You see a nice girl you ask around, and you get to know her "relationship status", "Her Profile", "likes/dislikes" . Umm its pretty much the same, just online now.

Location based services; When I was a freshman, I remember asking people for the best Pizza joint around, the unanimous answer was "Varsity Pizza's and Subs", the answer stays the same except that now I find it on FourSquare with a million reviews which not only tell me where to go, but what to order and how to carry extra paper towels for the "Grease Truck" Pie.

2010 was a big year for location based services, with 4square adding more features to its current portal, and the ability to share(impart) knowledge to your followers on other social networks. But, is this all we can do ?

The answer is NO, what happened to knowing about the new sale in town, how good would it be to be informed about ongoing sales in the mall not by the weird announcements and definitely not by the fliers, but by getting them on your mobile devices. Like every other techie out there, I have some plans for location based services too and by god's grace would be putting them to action very soon.

Location based services are no longer about where you are, but about how your location can help make your life simpler today. I need a haircut, and Prime Cuts at Essex street is PRIME !! I added a tip on 4square. Whoa !! I think I just made life simpler for all the newbies at Hack n Sack ;-)
021

No comments:

Post a Comment