Tuesday, November 2, 2010

The expert novice

I have a Dell Inspiron 1200 laptop which was gifted to me by my sister in 2003. It has a cracked screen, some water damage on the screen, referred to as "dhabba" by the common people.

It was until sometime back my "work" computer. My older posts can make you understand why I am never able to quit on my computers. Nevertheless, day 1 at work, I was told to bring a laptop till I was assigned one by the company. I sat at my desk, opened the laptop bag, and there it was, the old, but shiny Dell(logo) Inspiron.

"Is that older than you ? " hah sarcasm.

After giving the regular tilt head(you'll run out of those comments soon buddy) and smile I turned it on, almost forgetting the fact that Dell doesn't be as not really believe in making long lasting batteries (not that I have a problem with that, I lou Dell). Plugged in, all good to go, the grey button is pressed, and we wait... then it's pressed again. By this time, Mr sarcasm had lost interest in the device "bahut time ke baad on kiye ho, charge nahi hoga, battery bhi kharaab ho sakta hai " ... Tilt and Smile .

I turned it on last week, it was all good, damn now I won't be able to access "those" sites at work, this is unacceptable, work on it now !!

Aha, its just the power cord not plugged in well to the laptop, that was easy. The grey button is pressed, no wait this time. The blue dell splash screen appears, ah beauty !

Starts loading Windows XP, and here comes the desktop, black wallpaper, everything is hunky dory, but then.. it happened.

AVG opens its giant full screen Console, and sarcasm guy goes "dude this thing can make heads turn".

My self respect had taken enough, and now was armed to fire back at a guy using an iPhone to play games and would type on the computer one-finger-at-a-time. How can you use all yur fingers, whoz gonna look at the keys to be pressed Dumbo !! .

So, I turned around and asked him if he was in the mood for some technical gyaan, No I did not wait for him to answer.

I simple stated the fact, that any dumbo could use a "newer" computer, since its all about point and click especially when all you do is use MS Office to make reports. You have to be an expert to manage with what you have and come up good results if not better. If I can't the upper, the bottom left of my screen I would scroll, I would minimize and I would not open 20 windows so that I don't have to open the again in the evening or for that fact next week.

The dell is a 1.2Ghz 512mb RAM , 10GB usable machine. And by the end of my tenure there, I realized how effortlessly did I work on that laptop and how well behaved the laptop was. I'm sure a "newbie" would have lost hope and put something like that in the store, but only if you know of it, will you be able to fully use it.

My point here is quite similar to my past post on a similar topic, it's all about YOU, if you believe that the laptop can do the work, it will. If you believe the old Aiwa music system will play your cassettes after its been cleaned well by you.. it Will.

Stop quitting on technology and start believing in yourself !! Bits and Bytes make this world better every day.
021

No comments:

Post a Comment